CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service
The Center for Cybersecurity and Trustworhty Systems (K-CaTS) at Kansas State University is a proud participant in the CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service (SFS) program. CyberCorps®: SFS is a unique program designed to increase and strengthen the cadre of federal information assurance professionals that protect the government's critical information infrastructure. This program provides scholarships that fully fund the typical costs that students pay for books, tuition, and room and board while attending an approved institution of higher learning. Additionally, participants receive stipends throughout the scholarship period. The scholarships are funded through grants awarded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Applications for Fall 2023 are due on Friday, March 10th, 2023, and should be emailed to email@example.com. Applications should be submitted by the applicant. Recommendation forms and letters should be submitted by the recommender. Be sure to read the rest of this page for important additional information.
If you have any questions, please email either the Department of Computer Science main office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our SFS coordinator, Professor Dan Andresen (email@example.com).
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- United States citizen or permanent legal resident
- Full time student at K-State or applying to a degree program at K-State and intend to have coursework and/or research emphasizing the areas of Cybersecurity or Information Assurance
- Able to pass federal government job screening requirements and background check
- 3 years or fewer away from graduation by the first semester the scholarship will be awarded
- Minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA for undergraduate students
- Minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA for graduate students
Typically, the academic year stipend is $25,000 per year for undergraduate students, $34,000 for graduate students. In addition, the scholarship also covers other expenses such as tuition, fees, books, travel, and professional development.
Student Obligations and Employment Opportunities
Recipients of the scholarship are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Maintain full-time student status at K-State without pursuing or holding any outside employment
- Concentrate in an area of study related to Cybersecurity or Information Assurance
- Maintain compatibility with federal agency requirements (e.g., no drugs, felonies, etc.)
- Participate in required events within the program (e.g., job fairs, professional development, etc.)
- Gain an internship at a government agency during the summer
- After graduation, secure a full-time job in federal, state, local, or tribal government for a period of time commensurate with the number of years the scholarship is awarded
Students can apply for any position that includes duties in Cybersecurity or Information Assurance at a Federal, State, Local or Tribal Government organization, Independent Agency, Government Corporation, Commission, or Quasi-Official Agency. Positions may be secured to meet obligations at a National Laboratory, a Federally Funded Research Development Center, or other approved organization on a limited basis. If students are unsure as to whether a particular position meets program requirement they should contact the SFS Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for verification.
To apply for the scholarship, please submit the following materials:
- Completed application form
- Official transcripts from all previous post-secondary schools other than K-State
- Personal statement (see instructions in the application form)
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (see instructions in the application form)
For more information about this scholarship program, please contact the K-State CS Office (email@example.com) or attend one of the Q&A sessions which will be scheduled at K-State throughout the semester.
You are also encouraged to visit the CyberCorps®: Scholarship For Service official website, hosted by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.